Crypto venture Liquid USA announces senior leadership team ahead of 2020 launch
Liquid Financial USA, a joint venture between cryptocurrency exchange Liquid Group Inc. and venture capital firm Virtual Currency Partners LP, has announced the new executive team that will lead the previously announced expansion into the American market at Liquid.
"The U.S. is a large market, but a very challenging regulatory landscape," Mike Kayamori, co-founder and CEO of Liquid Group Inc., said in a company release. "To launch Liquid in the U.S., we needed a team with extensive industry experience and a deep understanding of U.S. financial markets."
He said the company is scheduled to launch in early 2020. The leadership team includes the following:
- Justin Hertzberg, an attorney and founder and CEO of IQX LLC, the predecessor money service firm that Liquid Financial USA acquired, will serve as CEO of Liquid Financial. For the past six years, he also owned and operated one of the world’s largest introducing brokerage businesses, which had offices in the U.S. and Europe and served clients in the OTC foreign exchange industry.
- Sean Gilmartin, the new chief compliance officer, served as CCO of IQX LLC. He previously served as director of regulation at the New York Stock Exchange, CCO at Jefferies Execution Services and senior compliance officer at Merrill Lynch.
- Apurva Mehta, chief technology officer, spent more than 22 years at ING and Societe Generale, with experience in global asset trading platforms, database management and trade reporting and settlements.
- Jerald Tillery, chief information security officer, has a background in large scale security management, threat intelligence analysis and cloud computing and has worked at the Options Clearing Corp., State Street Corp., Las Vegas Sands Corp., and the U.S. Department of Defense.
- Jonathan Pfohl, chief financial officer, is a partner at VCP and also a former CFO at startup firm Scio Diamond Technology, which specialized in lab-grown diamonds.
- Grady Kittrell, chief business development officer, is an investor and co-founder of VCP. He recently served as an advisor to MGT Capital Investments, a publicly-traded bitcoin mining firm.